My 2x great-grandmother Emma Eliza House (nee Cook) was born on 18th March 1881 in Tottenham, Edmonton in Middlesex. She was 1 of 10 known children; Alfred (1878-?), Alice (1879-?), Emma Eliza (1881-1961), William (1884-?), James (1886-?), Henry Elijah (1888-?), Lilian (1890-1901), John Frederick (1892-1963), Ernest (1894-?) and Alexander (1896-?). Their parents were Henry and Eliza Harriet Cook (nee Taylor).
I have found the baptism record for Emma. It states that the Cook family were living at 5 Vine Cottages, Tottenham, at the time of Emma’s baptism. Henry Cook, her father was a Platelayer.
Emma married George House on 30th March 1907 in Fawley, Hampshire. I recently acquired a photo of their wedding from my grandmother’s cousin. For some reason, the couple has been cut out of a larger photo. We as a family are unsure of why but it could have been to go in a frame of some kind. At the time of their wedding, Emma was pregnant with her first son.
George and Emma lived at Fawley, Hampshire, where they went on to have a total of 4 children, the youngest being my great grandmother Dorothy Annie May House, who was born in 1913.
The image below shows a newspaper article which reports an apparent ‘Unprovoked’ Assault. As amusing as it seems, I do not believe that it was unprovoked. Family members who knew Emma personally, have all told me that she would be able to stick up for herself as she could be fiery, but she would have never caused something unprovoked.
In 1919 the House family moved from Fawley, Hampshire to Paull, East Yorkshire. This was because George House had been posted at Paull Battery. He was a Royal Marine and had been given the opportunity, after his discharge from the forces. My grandmother told me that Emma never liked living in the north – she preferred it down south.
The photograph below shows Emma stood between her two daughters; Lily (on the left) and Dorothy (on the right).
Emma enjoyed going to the Royal Oak pub in Paull and enjoyed drinking a Whisky and Peppermint. My grandmother’s cousins have told me that Emma always had a pig in the sty, ready for Christmas. She would hang the pig up in the house, after preserving it for future use.
In 1961, Emma was caught in a fire in her bedroom in Paull. This was caused by her nighty (dressing gown) catching fire on the electric heater. A lodger called Tom Dalton, who was living at the house, tried to help her by wrapping her up and attempting to carry Emma down the stairs. This, in fact, made the burns and injuries worse. On 13th February 1961, Emma sadly passed away as a result of her burns.
Emma is buried with her husband George in Paull, East Yorkshire. I am yet to find out the dates of burial. The photo below shows their gravestone. This photo was taken a while ago; I found it with my grandmother in her photographs.
Thank you for reading,